Lamar's colorful history began with a hijacking in May 1886. During the time of outlaws and bandits, the westward movement in full swing, township development was extremely profitable along the Santa Fe Line. The most likely site left in Southeastern Colorado for town site platting was located at Blackwell Station, (railroad mile post 499), however the adjacent land owner (A.R. Black) refused to negotiate. "Platters" threatened to move the depot and obtained title to land in Section 31. Tensions heated and Mr. Black obtained a court ordered injunction, however, hours before it was issued, a railroad wrecking crew moved the Blackwell depot three miles west to mile post 502, throwing aside the Blackwell sign and mounting the name LAMAR.
|109A East Beech Street|
|Lamar, CO 81052|